Tuesday, September 04, 2012

September's first finish!

It's done!  It's done!  It's done!!!!

I have been wanting to have my Swoon quilt on my bed all summer - but it is just now finished.  I was able to assemble the first row of blocks back on my sewing day for my birthday in June and then it just sat there, haunting me.  A few weeks ago I finally assembled the rest of the top and then had to decide what to do about the quilting.  Originally a friend was going to quilt it with a baptist fan pattern on her huge Gammill with a Statler stitcher.  Then she had the nerve to move to Utah in July.  I could have mailed it to her - but it is a huge quilt and since the background on the top and the entire backing are made of Kona cotton, I decided it would be too wrinkled by the time it got there.  So then how do I quilt it here, on my long-arm?  I really  wanted Baptist fans.  Was I brave enough to try them free-hand?   Nina does beautiful free-hand baptist fans.  She gave me several pep talks via email and I practiced on a small 1 yard square practice piece - and then just went for it.  This quilt is HUGE - almost 100" x 100"!   I love how it turned out.  It is in the washer now and will be on my bed tonight!



All photos should be clickable.   Now to quilt my yellow spiderweb quilt!  

3 comments:

Libby said...

Oh my gosh, LOVE this quilt! I love the block and your arrangement and borders are great!

Teri said...

Look great in DS fabrics. I was thinking about doing this pattern with my recent clearance rack raid.

Lori said...

Love the quilt. Funny looking at the colors would have stumped me. I think in the future I'm just gonna GO for it. I've been making scrappy quilts and loving them. Love your blog name and contents.